Saturday, January 22, 2022
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Boca Raton Museum of Art & Florida Atlantic University - University Theatre
Spend the day learning and exploring Andean culture.
- Begin at the Boca Raton Museum of Art with a cup of coffee and tour the immersive exhibition Machu Picchu and the Golden Empires of Peru.
- Continue at FAU with:
- 11:00am - Keynote lecture The Ancient Andean States: Discontinuities and Continuities via live video by Peruvian Archeologist, Professor, and Author Dr. Henry Tantaleán.
- 12:00pm - Delve into the FAU-Smithsonian exhibition The Great Inka Road: Engineering an Empire.
- 1:00pm - Second keynote lecture by Northwestern University Professor of Anthropology Dr. Mary Weismantel via live video discussing her newly published book “Playing with Things: Engaging the Moche Sex Pots.”
- 2:15pm - Discover Andean musical traditions with Dr. Candy Hurtado while enjoying a music and dance performance by Kuyayky.
- 3:00pm - Lastly, learn of FAU scholars’ research on the greater Andean Region:
- Professor Valentina Martinez presents the Manteño civilization of Coastal Ecuador
- Dr. Michael J. Horswell speaks about Ancient Andes in Colonial Spanish literature.
- Dr. Rachel Corr explores the Andean roots of 20th Century Salasacan Culture.
- Dr. Mike Harris examines contemporary Manabi Culture.
Ticket reservation is required for this event.