About the Artist
American, born in Hoboken, New Jersey (1895-1965)
To use adjectives to describe the photograph Son of Sharecropper, Mississippi by Dorothea Lange.
I Can Statement
I can use adjectives to describe the photograph Son of Sharecropper, Mississippi by Dorothea Lange.
Adjective, noun, mood, color, category, monochromatic
- Define adjectives: an adjective is a word that describes a noun.
- Review nouns: nouns are people, places or things.
- Give a few examples of adjectives and elicit a few more from the class.
- Introduce/review and discuss the vocabulary.
- Point out that the artist is Dorothea Lange
- Record the following elicited adjectives on index cards:
- pose (relaxed, casual or stiff).
- texture (smooth, rough, grainy).
- facial features and the head in general (expression, hairstyle, details).
- clothing (style, type and general appearance).
- moods evoked by the portrait (happy, sad, serious, angry, calm or none at all.).
- shapes (squares, circles, triangles).
- lines (straight, curvy or diagonal).
- color in the photograph (gray, white, monochromatic).
- background (dark, light, patterned).
- setting (location, time of day, season).
- Have the children classify the adjectives on the index cards into categories.
List adjectives to describe yourself.
Write five sentences describing family members or friends.
Florida Language Arts Standards Grades K-5
- Vocabulary: VA.1.C.3.1 / VA.2.C.3.1 / VA.3.C.3.1 / VA.4.C.3.1
- Use Accurate Vocabulary to Communicate Ideas about Art:
- VA.1.S.1.4 / VA.2.S.1.4 / VA.3.S.1.4 / VA.4.S.1.4 / VA.5.S.1.4
- Adjectives: LAFS.K1.L.3.5 / LAFS.2.L.3.6 / LAFS.3.L.1.1 / LAFS.4.L.1.1
- Nouns: LAFS.K.L.1.1 / LAFS.1.L.1.1 / LAFS.2.L.1.1 / LAFS.3.L.1.1 / LAFS.4.L.1.1
Florida Language Arts Standards Grades 6-8
- Vocabulary: VA.68.C.3.1
- Use Accurate Vocabulary to Communicate Ideas about Art: VA.68.S.1.4
- Nouns: LAFS.68.L.1.1
Florida Language Arts Standards Grades 9-12
- Use Accurate Vocabulary to Communicate Ideas about Art: VA.912.S.1.4