Personal Connection worksheet
About the Artist
American, born in Okayama, Japan (1894-1953)
To use critical analysis to describe the characteristics of the portrait Woman with Drink by Yasuo Kuniyoshi.
I Can Statement
I can use critical analysis to describe the characteristics of the portrait Woman with Drink by Yasuo Kuniyoshi.
Critical analysis, realistic, abstract, texture, portrait
- Define and discuss critical analysis.
- Introduce or review the vocabulary.
- Point out that the artist was born in Okayama, Japan.
- Elicit information about Japan from the class (location, climate, capital city, language).
- What is this type of image called (portrait)?
- Ask where they have seen portraits before (at home, at school, at a museum).
- Explain and discuss the definition of abstract and realistic art.
- Ask whether the portrait looks more realistic or more abstract.
- Discuss the pose, background, accessories and the sitter’s expression.
- Invite the group to describe the mood that the subject evokes in them (serious, happy sad).
- Have the children describe the colors (dark, light or earth tones).
- Ask if the colors affect their mood (happy, calm or not at all).
- Ask the group what the artist’s mood might have been when he created the piece.
- Have the children use an adjective to describe the texture (smooth, bumpy, thick or thin).
- Ask the children to identify the shapes (circles, rectangles, triangles).
- Elicit a description of the lines (straight, curvy, diagonal).
- Discuss with the class reasons for having a portrait created.
- What can you infer about the sitter from her portrait?
Elicit critiques (I liked or disliked the portrait because …); record the responses.
List some famous people who have had their portraits created.
Florida Visual Arts Standards Grades K-5
- Vocabulary: VA.1.C.3.1 / VA.2.C.3.1 / VA.3.C.3.1 / VA.4.C.3.1 / VA.1.S.1.4/ VA.2.S.1.4 / VA.3.S.1.4 / VA.4.S.1.4 / VA.5.S.1.4
- Interpret and Reflect: VA.K.C.1 .2 / VA.1.C.1.2 / VA.2.C.1.2 / VA.3.C.1.2 / VA.4.C.1.2 / VA.5.C.1.2
- Artist’s intent: VA.5.C.3.2
- Critique art: VA.3.C.3.3 / VA.4.C.3.3 / VA.5.C.3.3
- Identify shapes: MAFS.K.G.1.2 / MAFS.4.G.1.2 / MAFS.5.G.2.4
Florida Visual Arts Standards Grades 6-8
- Vocabulary: VA.68.C.3.1
- Interpret and Reflect: VA.68.C.1.2
- Artist’s intent: VA.68.S.1.5
- Describe art from selected cultures: VA.68.H.1.1
- Critique art: VA.68.C.3.3
Florida Visual Arts Standards Grades 9-12
- Interpret and Reflect: VA.912.C.1
- Vocabulary: VA.912.C.3.1
- Describe art from selected cultures: VA.912.H.1
- Critique art: VA.912.C.3