Personal Connection worksheet
About the Artist
French, born in Paris, France (1885-1954
To use critical analysis to describe the characteristics of the abstract sculpture The Two Sisters by Henri Laurens.
I Can Statement
I can use critical analysis to describe the characteristics of the abstract sculpture The Two Sisters by Henri Laurens.
Sculpture, sculptor, three dimensional, bronze, critical analysis, texture, abstract, realistic
- Define and discuss critical analysis.
- Introduce or review the vocabulary.
- Point out that the artist was born in Paris, France.
- Elicit information about France from the class (location, climate, language).
- Discuss and explain the concepts of realistic and abstract art.
- Is the sculpture realistic or abstract?
- Ask the class if they have ever seen a sculpture like this one before (what and where).
- Have the children explain what the subjects are doing (dancing, posing or walking).
- Elicit the moods evoked by the statue and explain why you feel that way (happy, silly, etc.).
- Ask the group what the artist’s mood might have been when he created the piece.
- Inquire how the piece would feel to the touch (cool, warm, room temperature). Elicit critiques (I liked or disliked the sculpture because …); record responses.
Assessment: Have the children write a brief narrative describing what the sisters are saying.
- Discuss texture and ask the children to give a description (smooth, bumpy, thick or thin).
- Ask the children to describe the shapes they see in terms of lines (straight, curvy, diagonal).
Elicit critiques (I liked or disliked the sculpture because …); record responses.
Have the children write a brief narrative describing what the sisters are saying.
Florida Visual Arts Standards Grades K-5
- Vocabulary: VA.1.C.3.1 / VA.2.C.3.1 / VA.3.C.3.1 / VA.4.C.3.1 / VA.1.S.1.4/ VA.2.S.1.4 / VA.3.S.1.4 / VA.4.S.1.4 / VA.5.S.1.4
- Interpret and Reflect: VA.K.C.1 .2 / VA.1.C.1.2 / VA.2.C.1.2 / VA.3.C.1.2 / VA.4.C.1.2 / VA.5.C.1.2
- Artist’s intent: VA.5.C.3.2
- Critique art: VA.3.C.3.3 / VA.4.C.3.3 / VA.5.C.3.3
- Identify shapes: MAFS.K.G.1.2 / MAFS.4.G.1.2 / MAFS.5.G.2.4
Florida Visual Arts Standards Grades 6-8
- Vocabulary: VA.68.C.3.1
- Interpret and Reflect: VA.68.C.1.2
- Artist’s intent: VA.68.S.1.5
- Describe art from selected cultures: VA.68.H.1.1
- Critique art: VA.68.C.3.3
Florida Visual Arts Standards Grades 9-12
- Interpret and Reflect: VA.912.C.1
- Vocabulary: VA.912.C.3.1
- Describe art from selected cultures: VA.912.H.1
- Critique art: VA.912.C.3