Personal Connection worksheet
About the Artist
To use critical analysis to describe the characteristics of the Maya sculpture Seated Tomb Effigy Xantile Figure.
I Can Statement
I can use critical analysis to describe the characteristics of the Mayan sculpture Seated Tomb Effigy Xantile Figure.
Critical analysis, texture, facial, realistic, abstract, effigy, earthenware, Mayan, Mesoamerican
- Define and discuss critical analysis.
- Introduce/review and discuss the vocabulary.
- Point out that the artist is unknown.
- Elicit information about Mexico during the Maya civilization (location, language, and climate).
- Briefly discuss the concepts of realistic and abstract art.
- Discuss whether the sculpture is more realistic or more abstract.
- Have the class describe the features of the statue (size, shape, color).
- Discuss the physical attributes of the figure (facial features, head shape, body).
- What do you think the Tomb Effigy Xantile Figure represents (worship, memorial, war)?
- What do you suppose was the purpose of creating this statue?
- Discuss texture and have the class give a description (smooth, rough, thick, soft, or hard).
- Elicit the moods evoked by the statue (happy, sad, serious, angry, or calm).
- Ask for a description of the lines observed (straight, curvy, diagonal).
- Have the viewers describe the shapes they observe (round, triangular, rectangular).
- Ask if the statue is symmetrical.
- Discuss why this material (clay) was used to create this figure.
Elicit critiques (I liked or disliked the sculpture because …) and record responses.
Write a few lines about why you suppose the statue was created.
Florida Visual Arts Standards Grades K-5
- Vocabulary: VA.1.C.3.1 / VA.2.C.3.1 / VA.3.C.3.1 / VA.4.C.3.1 / VA.1.S.1.4/ VA.2.S.1.4 / VA.3.S.1.4 / VA.4.S.1.4 / VA.5.S.1.4
- Interpret and Reflect: VA.K.C.1 .2 / VA.1.C.1.2 / VA.2.C.1.2 / VA.3.C.1.2 / VA.4.C.1.2 / VA.5.C.1.2
- Artist’s intent: VA.5.C.3.2
- Critique art: VA.3.C.3.3 / VA.4.C.3.3 / VA.5.C.3.3
- Identify shapes: MAFS.K.G.1.2 / MAFS.4.G.1.2 / MAFS.5.G.2.4
Florida Visual Arts Standards Grades 6-8
- Vocabulary: VA.68.C.3.1
- Interpret and Reflect: VA.68.C.1.2
- Artist’s intent: VA.68.S.1.5
- Describe art from selected cultures: VA.68.H.1.1
- Critique art: VA.68.C.3.3
Florida Visual Arts Standards Grades 9-12
- Interpret and Reflect: VA.912.C.1
- Vocabulary: VA.912.C.3.1
- Describe art from selected cultures: VA.912.H.1
- Critique art: VA.912.C.3